Monday, August 30, 2010

Part 4.3 El bocho

Hi again guys,

I’ll make this chapter a bit shorter, because nothing too special happened and I’ve got some schoolwork to do. I will briefly tell about my fifth (!!!) week here in Guadalajara and also add some pics of my new car, Firebeetle.

Monday the 23.8 didn’t start too well, because I heard about the tragedy not until this morning in the school. There was no guessing in what was the most common subject to talk about on that day. Everything else went pretty normally, we had another political and history lesson in course “Doing business in Mexico”. I know it’s important to know about historical backgrounds before focusing on the business issues, but for three weeks? Well we had the expo visit in the between, which was fun. Hopefully it will get more interesting in the next week.

The rest of the week went also rreeeeaaally quickly with sports and school stuff. The agenda of this week was to buy a car for myself and open up a bank account. The opening of a a bank account didn’t go too smoothly, because you need all kinds papers to prove your existence here. The first time I didn’t have a correct proof of address, and when I the next day tried again with a phone bill including the right address, it still wasn’t okay. Reason: Only gas and electricity bills are approved in proofing your address, phone bill don’t do the trick. Should’ve known it.

The car buying went smoother. I had one criterion, which was the color. The car couldn’t be white. I went with my Mexican friend to look some cars first on Wednesday, but none of them really catched my eye (yes, looks is obviously most important). I had two very good cars on mind, which both were special versions of the normal beetle and looked really cool! On Friday we went finally to see one of those cars, and I felt really satisfied with the looks and the driving. Here’s a picture of it:


Because many other people wanted to buy the car also, we decided to lock our decision and buy the car! I think it was a pretty good deal until we were driving with my friends to a bar on the very same night, and suddenly the motor started to keep an enormous voice. The sound was like straight from a Harley-Davidson, but with double noise. Well we just left the car by another friend’s house, and went to see it with my Mexican cousin the next day.

STOP: A little info from Kimbo


Carnalism

In Mexico the friendships are much closer and they seem to have a bigger meaning to especially for the younger people than for example in Finland. Very good friends are often named as brothers or other relatives, even though there is no actual blood relation. The friends have often an own way to speak to each other and also in other behavior. They for example call only their “brothers” as “carnals” or do some own handshake/hug with them. I found if first pretty funny, but they actually take it pretty seriously and it just tells something about the Mexican lifestyle. Diego’s uncle, Paco, also wanted me to be his cousin so I just got my first relative here, whoa.

If you want to get a better picture of this, I recommend you to watch “Sangre por Sangre” (eng. “Blood in Blood out”).
.

However, Paco was able to find the problem pretty quickly and he got the thing fixed. It was some kind of gasoline injection pipe that wasn’t well attached to the motor, so that the gasoline was exploding in the motor I think too much. We took the car today also to a car workshop and it should we working good finally. Hopefully there will not be too many updates on the condition of my car in the future posts.

The weekend went relatively peacefully besides the car episode, went out with friends on nights, but only some movie watching/beer drinking business etc. Could have gone out, but didn’t find the bar on Saturday (28.8) that I was looking for: 130 pesos (8.5euros) to get in, but all the drinks and beers were free. Maybe it was a good things that I didn’t find the bar, you never know..

This was my blog update this time. I spare my cultural jibberish of Mexico to the next posts, when I have more time. We have our first partial exams already coming, jaiks! Don’t want to stress too much about them, though, because I heard you get really easily graded here and we don’t get any numbers anyway in Finland from them. Thanks for reading and feel free to post comments!

Peace.

2 comments:

  1. Melko kuuli kaara meinates! ainaki näyttää hyvältä vaikkei nii toimiskaa vimpan päälle :D Mukava blogi, kiva lueskella, ja hauskaa on näyttäny olevan jo. Ja viis viikkoo jo oot siel kerenny pyöriin, whaat?! toiset täältä vasta ponnistamasta kotoSuomesta :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola q pedo!

    Joo siis ulkonäkö oli ehottomasti etusijalla autoo ostaessa, erityisesti pakoputki on varmasti meksikon paras! Joo oon ollu reissussa jo about 6 viikkoa, jos jenkkilän reissun laskee mukaan ja tosi hauskaa on kyl ollut :). Kiva et blogi kelpaa, tää on kyl tosi hyvä tapa muistaa tekemänsä asiat, kun ei niitä jälkeenpäin muuten tule muistamaan.

    Nii sun koulu alko nyt ens viikon alussa vai miten? Huomaat itekki kyl paikan päällä, et alkusähellyksen jälkeen aika menee ihan laittoman kovaa. Superhauskaa vaihtovuotta sullekki!

    ReplyDelete