Friday, December 3, 2010

Chapter 9. Sobre el abuelo y Sayulita

Hiiiii!

The end of the first is approaching lightspeed and I felt the need to keep u guys updated of the things happened during the last weeks. I'll tell about our trip to Sayulita and talk a little about the life in the host family because of the recent occasions. I'll start with the latter one.

About three weeks ago the 85 year old grandfather of the family had a brain stroke. He was taken to the hospital immediatly and spent the first week there - accompanied all day and night long with many family members. It really showed my the power of the family once again, for exampe Susana was staying almost every night in the hospital nearby the granpa. Our schools stupid falta rules obliged her to do her normal work still and she was basically going without a rest all day long with a couple of hours of sleep. I felt a bit guilty to go partying and to a vacation to Puerto Vallarta when they spend all their time in the hospital, but then again, what could I have done..

After the first week the stroke had also an effect of my life. He moved to our house and they wanted him to have my room downstairs. I had to move upstairs to a guest room, which I shared the first week with diego because some of their cousins came to the house and took Diego's room. So my space practically reduced from 15 sqmeters to about 3 sqmeteres for some time, which wasn't of course the best thing but of course I understood the situation. The granpa's having some mental problems and depression so the home life has become a big more stressful.

I can't remember if I've told it already, but I'm moving to another place to stay in after my winter vacations. This was my plan all year long and this incident kind of only strengthened my plans. Well anyway, so far I've had an awesome time here with the family and I feel like owing them A LOT.

Hahahaha, I remember a funny thing that has happened a few times both when being in Diego's car. They happened during the evening or night and I've both times felt asleep in the car, just to find myself waking up to the noise of people laughing and having 3 pair of eyes staring at me with an oddly grin. The thing was that I was having a sleep without noticing. In the dreams I was in the same car but in the dream the people were talking to me and asking some questions to which I of course responded. However, my responses didn't go unheard and my buddies could here everything that I was talking in the dream which of course didn't make any sense. One time for example I found myself talking about the prices of tacos, telling how much I have money and advising the route to a taco place, which later on blurred into reality when I found that my friends clearly weren't understanding a crap that I was saying.

Sayulita 12.-16.11.2010

Finally after many weeks of planning we got the chance to go Surfing in Sayulita, a small city nearby Puerto Vallarta in the west coast of Mexico.

Sayulita on a map

I was traveling with Niklas, a Finnish guy from Helsinki who is also studying at TEC. We left on Friday evening at 6pm and headed first in the centre bus station with 1 hour taxi ride. Later on we found out that the same bus stopped after an hour of driving to another bus station that was 10 minutes away from my house, wippieeeeee.

We arrived to Puerto Vallarta after some 4,5 hours of driving and didn't do too much anything but just have evening dinner and a couple of well deserved beers. We slept the first night in a place called Hotel Rosita, which was ok but still not that good so the next morning we decided to find another place to stay. We weren't sure about the hostel possibilities in Sayulita, so we decided to find a place in PV not to have to carry our bags the whole day there if we couldn't find a place to stay in. We found a much better place with the same price (12 euros per person) with 2 jacussis, king size bed, kitchen and a living room with about 45 square meters. We were really satisfied (in everything else than the super-slow breakfast) and would definetly go there again. Too bad I can't remember the name of it.. Here's a few pics of PV!

Typical street view in Puerto Vallarta

Icecream-time - all year long!

From the hotel window

Ready to go!

On our way to Sayulita

We left to Sayulita at about 1pm after the hotel episode and arrived there in an hour or so. There was a big flood katastrophe two months ago with various parts of the city destroyed and still there was a big river in the centre of the city that was created during the storm and was still quite big.

Somebody must've had a pleasant toilet experience

First we had a really good marico-tostada mix for 60 pesos (a bit less than 4 euros)! Afterwards we headed to the beach, which we heard was good for not that experienced surfers like ourselves. Here's a few pics of it.

Sayulita beach

Our surf-gear renting place!

As soon as we arrived to the beach we found out that we weren't the only ones from the in Sayulita in that weekend. We met at least ten more people in the first afternoon and another dozen more during the next few day. But what the hell, we were here to SURF and not socialize, so we grabbed two longboards for us and headed for the waves. The first moments went of course a bit scetchy finding the right technic, but pretty soon enough we got the hang of it and I successfully succeeded to ride a few waves to the end which was of course nice. I liked the beach a lot and the waves were certainly not too big for us. The only negative thing worth mentioning was the rock bottom in a pretty shallow water that was located of course where the better waves were. It wasn't a big problem and u just had to avoid avoided to crash head first in the shallow water.

The next day we headed again to Sayulita in the morning from Puerto Vallarta and this time decided to take our backpacks with us when informed that there would be room to stay in Sayulita. The hostel that we took in Sayulita had the same price than our Junior Suite room in Puerto Vallarta, but that's about the only thing that the rooms shared. It located 20 meters from the beach so once again we proved the fact of 3 of the most important things of a property: Location, location and location. This time we rented hard boards, because the 2 hour long surfing yesterday without shirts on soft board resulted that even taking a shower hurted like hell and our stomach and chest were full of red remarks. We went together with some other people from Guadalajara in that night and the next day consisted again of some surfing action and taking it easy in the beach. We headed home in monday night, but the memories of the trip were still strong on Tuesday, when I had to stay in the bed for basically whole day because my stomach was hurting. I think the reason for it was something that I ate in Sayulita in the last evening. Wednesday was still not 100%, but Thursday I was feeling normal again and could go back to the school and sport routines, wippiee!

I'll end my update here because my laptop battery is running out and I'm going to do some sports in the kampus area. I'll write one more update about my trip to Veracruz and Xalapa in the east coast of mexico and also add some stories about the last days of the first semester here in Guadalajara.

Hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment